Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Blind Leading the Blind (9/8/15)

This week is truly summed up by the title of this email. I was feeling rather queasy, shaky, and anxious on the 2-hour drive to Baton Rouge for transfer meeting, where I would meet my new companion, who had just arrived fresh out of the MTC. Well, Sister Kohler is a total sweetheart - 19, from Utah - who has a beautiful testimony of the Savior and of the restored gospel.

But alas, I am still a new missionary, and I am training a brand-spankin-new missionary. The stress and worry are so real. I don't want to fail Sister Kohler or the people of McComb, and definitely not the Lord. That's a heavy burden for little ole me to bear! Which is why I'm learning to practice what I preach and "cast [my] burden upon the Lord" (Psalm 55:22).

This experience of training is really helping me understand what humility is. It isn't just acknowledging my weaknesses and shortcomings. That's part of it, but sometimes I've let that way of thinking limit the faith I have in what the Lord can accomplish through me. I'm learning that humility is embodied by confidence in the Lord and his ability to make weak things strong. I need to remember to trust in HIS strength, not my own (or lack thereof). That's how I'm going to get through this. That's how this work is going to progress. Because I can't do it, but He can.

In other news, Mr. J is doing awesome! He's smoke-free, he's chuggin right along in his Book of Mormon reading, he's attending church every week, and he's right on his way to baptism next week! I am SO excited for him!

Well, that's all I have time for, folks! Pray for me, I need all the help I can get :)



No comments:

Post a Comment