Saturday, January 30, 2016

Sufficiently Humble (8/10/15)


If missions are good for any one thing other than spreading the gospel, it's humbling the missionary. I had a good dose of that this week! Forgive my frankness. I BIFFED it on my bike this week. Sister Kerr literally asked one of our investigators for ice so that my foot wouldn't swell up. I also laughed so hard at our apartment that I literally peed my pants and shamefully had to wipe it up, but still laughing of course. Painfully humbling. Hope y'all enjoy that. Also, I had to get out of the car in the middle of the highway to help Sister Kerr back up into oncoming traffic. Also humbling. Being in the poorest of neighborhoods is humbling as well. But really, the biggest humbling comes from the realization that I am nowhere near where God needs me to be in my personal progression. I am SO weak, so prideful, so self-centered, so far from who I need to be. Being a missionary really gives you an opportunity for some hardcore self-evaluation and gives you an even more hardcore desire to follow Christ more perfectly. So that's what I've been focusing on this month - humility! "Could ye say...that ye have been sufficiently humble? (Alma 5:27)" I'm working on being able to say yes to that.

Missions are so eye-opening. You're exposed to things you could never imagine. People tell you things you don't want to know. You see things you don't want to see. You really understand people and their hardships. Tragedies - UNREAL tragedies - are all around. I won't go into detail - but there is so much suffering that we can't imagine. Be grateful for what you have - count those blessings like it's your job!

But still, this world is a beautiful place. This work is a beautiful work. This gospel is beautifully simple. Jesus Christ lives - that's the most beautiful truth there is. I can't explain how much I LOVE these people!

I also love that there are tornado sirens all around here. They went off this week! Everyday is a new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment