Thursday, July 30, 2015

Bad Things Happen to Good People (7/21/15)

From fire ant bites, to 114 degree heat index, to flat tires, to being stood up, to getting fatter, to awkward/painful situations, bad things happen to good people (me). Being a missionary is hard. It's hard to get rejected, and it's harder to see people reject the truths you hold so dear. It's hard to be working from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm each and every day. Here in Mississippi, these good people have experienced some bad things. Murder, abuse, addiction, extreme poverty, broken homes, debilitating illness - the list goes on. Bad things happen to good people. About 2000 years ago, there lived a perfect man. He only loved, he only served, he always sacrificed. He was the most good a person can be - because he was perfect. Yet he suffered the worst. He gave us everything, yet he was mocked, reviled, betrayed by his friends, and crucified. That man is our Savior, Jesus Christ. "He understands perfectly what it's like to suffer innocently." - Dale G. Renlund. So when these things happen, don't blame God and ask him why bad things happen to good people. Rejoice in knowing you're not alone. Rejoice in knowing that everything unfair about this life is made fair, is made bearable, through the Atonement. Rejoice in knowing that hardships are making you stronger - helping you reach your potential. God loves you, and He will never leave you. Just please, don't leave Him - don't leave the one who loves you - understands you - infinitely.

On a lighter note, I'm done with my first transfer in the field, and.... I'm staying in McComb! Thank goodness. I love this place, and my work is not done here! The work is progressing, people are changing and drawing nearer unto Christ, investigators are becoming missionaries, baptisms are approaching, the kingdom is growing.

This week, I went on transfers with Sister Blaylock in Albany. Most eventful part of that day was a gnarly flat tire that kept us from getting anything done until 4 pm. Then zone conference is always fun.




So we visit a lady in a nursing home. With a disgruntled look on her face, she says, "There's something in my butt. It's climbing in there. I need to see what it is." Yeah, I don't know either.

There's a kid in our branch who told us a very long story during church, which included, but was not limited to: "The daddy alligator gave me a ride through the water. I'm not lyin, this is true. There were 557 alligators and they all thought I was their uncle. My brother's leg got stuck in the railroad tracks. Then I got bitten by a vampire bat." It gets better, but I'll leave y'all wondering.

I love this place. Every day is an adventure. And it's even better that I get to share the beautiful gospel of Jesus Christ with these people.

Read the Book of Mormon, y'all! We've got it for a reason. Let it change your life :)

Love,
Sister Lanning


No comments:

Post a Comment