Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Big White Envelope

My papers were in. It was out of my hands now. I just prayed that wherever I was sent, I would know it was right. Guesses were pinned on a world map, and I was checking the mailbox compulsively. Let me tell you - it is a weird feeling knowing that your fate has been decided and you don't know what it is yet. Especially when the only thing standing between you and finding out your fate is the speed of the postal service.



Then, on Friday February 27 at about 4 in the afternoon, I could barely believe my eyes when I opened the mailbox to see that big white envelope. I might have done a happy dance and let out a little scream. Okay, a big scream. 



In front of lots of friends and family, I opened my long-awaited mission call, fumbling a lot of words.
Dear Sister Lanning,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, May 27, 2015. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the English language.
(This is a lot more to the letter, but that seems to be the paragraph people care about.)




Louisiana. A year ago, I would have frowned at that call. 
English speaking? Boring. Stateside? Boring. 

But not anymore. 

I am so excited to teach people that I can relate to, although their culture will still be different and exciting compared to what I'm used to! I am so excited to teach in my own language so that I can express my testimony exactly as I feel it. 

Here's a fun way to think about stateside missions:
Jesus - the greatest teacher of all - only taught Jews. His ministry and mission was teaching his own people in his own land in his own language. Having that similarity with the Savior is pretty cool.


It was so cool to read where I'll be spending the next year and a half of my life, knowing that it is exactly where God wants me to be. I felt a tidal wave of unconditional love for the people of Louisiana crash over me.

This call is exactly right. It is inspired. It is for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment